Sunday, November 22, 2009

Holding tightly to lessons learned...

Since walking back into our home (at 2:04 a.m. last Sunday morning) after being gone for 10 days, we really hit the ground running. Brad had to work some crazy hours this week and the laundry, mail, bills, and my greatly missed children took priority. My poor computer was pretty lonely...

And the funny thing is, I'm okay with that.

Two weeks ago, I would have been DYING over the fact I haven't been making comments on my friends' blogs (especially yours Gianna!!!) and updating the best of our some 1500 cruise pictures. I would have been staying up all night because I felt time for myself on the computer was more important than sleep or spending time connecting with my husband.

In reality, this pregnancy has really wiped me out. I'm tired all the time, and I realized that I had placed my selfish desires above many other things and commitments...and I really didn't like it.

Even though some days it kills me to keep walking by the computer on my way to finish my 8th load of laundry or to play ponies with Sammy or to fix a nutritious supper for my family, all I have to do is think of this....


or this...


or, my personal favorite...


These are just a few of some of the AMAZING sunset and sunrise pictures my husband took. They really are beautiful, aren't they! And I can't help but remember those moments of refreshment, relaxation, and perfect contentment while we stood at the edge of the ship and just enjoyed the beautiful creation around us.

It was in those moments that I realized I tend to get so worked up over things! I am constantly telling my kids, "hurry, hurry, we're late...please, move a little faster!" And I think I have to do EVERYTHING right away or stay up and run myself ragged...as if my family or friends will be greatly hurt if I wait a few days to call or to answer their facebook post or post a blog.

I've been giving myself pep talks since we got back...

Like, "it's really okay Jenny...give yourself a few days to get through all the laundry, mail, pictures, etc...no one is going to hold it against you...take your time...what's your rush...slow down and listen to your body and WALK AWAY FROM THE COMPUTER AND GO TO BED."

or something like that...

For now, I'm holding on and remembering those lessons...

So for all my adoring fans...you know, all 8 of you...I guess you'll just have to wait a few more days for those glorious Caribbean pics.

Here's just one more to tide you over...


Ahhhhhh, that's better!

2 comments:

gianna said...

i know what you mean about "hurry! hurry! hurry!" today as i was getting ready for church (which i know is different for you than for me), i had to intentionally tell myself "it doesn't matter if we are late, do NOT hurry them." literally, this was just today. and it was the nicest morning before church i've had in a long time. isn't it crazy? if we put our children first when they are SUPPOSED To be first, it's crazy how much better life is.
also, Oh, my goodness! brad's pics are BEAUTIFUL! i'm so happy for you.

Anonymous said...

I know exactly how you feel Jenny. I felt the same way after our trip.

I'm so glad that you and Brad had a great time!!