Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Flashback on the 15th - Strawberry Picking with Grandma

Last July when Brad's mom was here for a visit, I wanted to make the most of her time with us...but I ended up cramming way too much into her 2 1/2 week stay.

I know that's hard for some of you to believe...

Daily swim lessons for the kids, my first ever garage sale, play dates, etc...

Poor Betty had to go home to get some rest!

Anyway, one of the super fun activities we did with her was go strawberry picking. I met 2 other girlfriends and their kids at a local, family run, strawberry patch, meat processing, sweet little farm called Nelson Shine.

We had a GREAT time!


Sammy loved strawberry picking. She is such a perfectionist and was very picky about her choices.


Grandma stayed with Caleb quite a bit, but after a short lesson in "proper strawberry choosing and picking" he was right up there with Sammy.


Sammy and Caleb picked for 30-45 minutes, which I thought was great for their first time, but the farm had other great places to explore and the goats and horses were just too tempting.


For most of this time, Hannah had been confined to her stroller.

Poor, poor 3rd child!

But after Sammy and Caleb ran off with their friends to explore the nooks and crannies of the farm, Grandma Aust was able to share some pure sweetness with her.


And share she did!


As I was just finishing up picking my last bit of strawberries, Caleb found a gold mine.

A sand box...

with a bazillion John Deere tractors.


He. Was. In. Heaven.


While Caleb was lost in tractors and trailers, Sammy found her own slice of heaven.



We could have seriously stayed their all day!

But there were strawberries to wash, mouths to feed and a sleepy baby to put down for a nap.


And one tired Mommy and Grandma who needed to put their feet up!

5 comments:

Betty Aust said...

Oh, I loved that day! It was SO MUCH FUN being with my grandkids & all the ladies picking strawberries, seeing all the animals, & playing on the swings AND watching Caleb in the sand pile with all those trucks! I would love to do it again! It was a SPECIAL TIME!

Betty Aust said...

Oh, I loved that day! It was SO MUCH FUN being with my grandkids & all the ladies picking strawberries, seeing all the animals, & playing on the swings AND watching Caleb in the sand pile with all those trucks! I would love to do it again! It was a SPECIAL TIME!

Betty Aust said...

Oops, the last comments got posted twice! To say that Jenny crams alot into a day or 2 weeks is an understatement! I think she was born with wings on, roller blades on her feet, & a mind that never sleeps! Honestly, I really loved most of it, except when she got stressed out trying to do the garage sale! She did it with flying colors! There's no stopping her when she has her mind made up! I really give her credit that she gets SO MUCH done, though. She's a terrific high-flying, fun, energetic, caring & loving daughter-in-law, wife, mother, & friend! I knew she & Brad would compliment each other!

Betty Aust said...

Thanks, Jenny, for posting this fun, special time we all had. I laid in bed thinking last night about 2 topics we all have problems with: either doing too much or not being motivated & doing too little! We all get caught in this trap, either over extended & going crazy OR not having enough to do & being bored. Balance is so hard in all this. Then are we human beings or human doings? Probably both. We can't just sit & pray all day. Christ called us to serve as he did. Yet we need to come to Him in quiet time & not think about our to do list. We all struggle with this. I love it when Christ says, Peace, be still! Come to me all you who are heavy laden & I will give you rest!

Betty Aust said...

Continuing: As you know the last 10 years have been challenging for me & I don't see any end in sight at the moment. Living with my 92 year old mother, who I dearly love, is TOTALLY different than my life before Dick's death! She is extremely SLOW with her disabilities & at her age. She gets bored & doesn't know what to do with herself many days lately. She depends on me totally & I told her recently that I can't entertain her all day. I feel for her pain. She thinks I'm very fast. Then I go to my kid's homes to be with them & the grandchildren, & it's TOTALLY OPPOSITE! Do my kids think I am slow? Now I'm the older one in the house. Complete role reversal! Different ages, different stages! Let's just keep praying, listening, caring, & supporting each other!