Thursday, October 13, 2016

What can happen in just a month.

Exactly a month ago, Brad and I were still knee-deep in packing, organizing, staging, and finishing final projects on our Brooklyn Center home.  It took us 9 days from when we first made our list of 60 things we still had to complete/finish/repair/stage until the professional photographer arrived to take pictures of our home.

I can't remember much of it, but I DO remember that I only freaked out/had a panic attack TWICE about how we were going to finish everything in time.

This was a miracle people... a miracle!

I give much of the credit to my lack of "freaking out" to my 4 years as a seminary student's wife.  I was taught and trained in more areas that I can count and experienced more growth in becoming more flexible than I had ever before and really learned to not "worry about the million things that need to get done and just do the next thing."

Yet another sweet gift of seminary life.

Our house hit MLS on the afternoon of Thursday, September 15.  We had 4 showings on Friday, 2 more on Saturday, and by Saturday night we received 2 offers!!!

We officially accepted an offer on Sunday, and there was MUCH rejoicing at my house!!!

I don't know whether the kids or I were more excited about not having to have the house cleaned and spotless!  

Selling our house so quickly was such a gift from the Lord!  I know that He doesn't always work in this specific way for others...I believe He uses the quick sales and the LONG sales both for His glory and our good...but I was grateful for His graciousness to our family. 

About a week and a half later, Brad, Josiah, and I drove to Indianola to look at homes.  We were again amazed at God's sweet provision for us.  As we interviewed Iowa realtors, God led us to a wonderful woman whose passion is finding just the right house for each family.  She loves the challenge of it and loves learning about what specific needs each family has.  After going back to look at a certain house for the second time, we made an offer. After a day or two of negotiations, they accepted our counter offer!


The one tricky part is that we aren't able to close on our Brooklyn Center home until November 16.  Brad and I were really sad that we couldn't close sooner.  We realized that Brad would have to begin working at Grace Evangelical Free Church in Indianola before the rest of the family was able to join him.

Living separately was something we were hoping to avoid. 

But God has continued to be gracious to us.  After talking with the senior pastor and elders and looking at our schedule, we decided that Brad would begin at Grace on October 9 and would leave Minneapolis on Saturday afternoons and return back to Brooklyn Center on Thursday evenings for 5 weeks until we move into our new house on November 17.

It wasn't our first plan, but it is God's plan for us during these last 6 weeks in Minnesota.

We're now almost done with the first week.

I'm super tired.... Josiah got hand, foot and mouth on Sunday...

I'm super emotional...due to missing being a part of forming these new relationships with people in our new church alongside Brad AND realizing how much I will miss my neighbors, friends, and nearby family...

and I'm completely aware of my limitations and how self-sufficient I try to be...I just can't be ALL things at ALL times for 4 kids...no matter how hard I plan or work.

While this may first appear as a hardship, I have been reminded over the last few days that God doesn't waste anything.  These next several weeks are a gift!  The kids and I are able to be with some of our dearest friends and to enjoy "just one more MN fall" and "just one more trip to Chutes and Ladders" and "just one more outing with our WI cousins."

What a gift!

And, even more, God is gently reminding me that while He has given me the personality and gifts to manage a lot of CRAZY, He also is calling me to depend on Him fully and not in myself.

"But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.  Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me." II Corinthians 12:9-10

 






No comments: