Friday, November 17, 2006

A better me

Last weekend Brad was out of town, so my friend Melanie drove up from the Cities to spend the weekend with Sammy and me. We watched chic flicks (which my husband HARDLY ever watches with me), went shopping, and stayed up late talking. Even though I was very tired by the weekend's end, I felt refreshed.

Even though Melanie is not a parent yet, she knows (because of her many years of nannying), that moms don't take care of themselves. We don't buy a great scent because it makes us feel pretty or buy a sexy shirt for a date with our husbands. We sacrifice a lot of money, time, energy, and wants of our own for the sake of our children and families. So, Melanie took me shopping. I think I tried on 10 different shirts before I found one that I really liked. And Sammy was so content and busy watching herself (and 4 other twin friends in the 4-way mirror in the dressing room). By the end of the day, I picked up a couple of items that made me feel terrific! I felt alive, beautiful, and totally dotted on.

Then we came home, and Melanie took a look into my closet. I used to be a teacher who dressed pretty professional everyday...with the dresses, high heels, pantyhose, etc, but since I've been a stay-at-home mom, my wardrobe is mainly comprised of jeans, sweatshirts, t-shirts, and an occasional dressy shirt I wear to MOPS or BSF. But I had also been holding onto some clothes I was NEVER going to wear again. You all know what I'm talking about! Those TOO SMALL clothes (that maybe I'll fit back into someday after my 4th child) or TOO LARGE clothes (that I may still use if I gain 40 pounds during my next pregnancy) or the clothes still from HIGH SCHOOL. (I know you all still have a couple of those in your closets!) So, I purged, and purged, and purged, and I felt so free. (FLYLady has been preaching this same thing to me the last few weeks.) I put a bunch of clothes aside to be given away, and I felt wonderful. Our weekend was topped off with another movie and new red nail polish for my toenails. (Yet another thing that made me feel so pretty!)

It’s really so crazy that a new shirt or nail polish can have such a dramatic change on my attitude and demeanor. I feel so warm and fuzzy when I put on my new vest or see my red toenails or think about my next date with Brad.

Something so small can change everything.

So how do I take care of myself so that I can be a better mother, wife, and friend? How do you? Life is too short to not take a moment for ourselves. I know now to take a few minutes everyday for myself, and to find money in the budget (somewhere) to buy a new shirt or get my haircut or get a massage.

Why? Because I (and my husband and daughter) am worth every penny.

4 comments:

gianna said...

seriously lol! I'm glad that Melanie made you take care of yourself! And that you didn't feel guilty. (wink, wink)
I love ya!

Jenny Aust said...

It was actually a very fun weekend. Exhausting, but fun. Plus it was nice to have someone else get Sammy in and out of her carseat...that can so be a pain!

Anonymous said...

I think I had as much fun as you did! Remember, the best gift we can give our children is to be an example of a healthy, well rounded woman. We are constantly teaching our daughters what they will/should become, and teaching our sons what to look for in a woman. We teach this through our successes as well as our faults. Keep up the good work!

Jenny Aust said...

Thanks again Mel. I love looking at my pretty toenails!