Tuesday, September 11, 2007

My Mom-in-Law






It has been over a month since I last blogged. There are a lot of reasons why I haven't found the time to blog...such as the extra hours (and 7 extra meetings) Brad has put in this past month or the fact that we had guests at our house 20 DAYS out of the last 6 weeks or because life with a newborn and a toddler is good, but still a big adjustment. And there's always laundry to do and dishes to clean and toys to put away.

But the number 1 reason is actually a really good one...it's because of naps! No, not Sammy's or Caleb's naps...but my naps! I have tried REALLY hard to get the kids down for their afternoon nap at the same time so that I can get at least an hour of shut-eye. And 80% of the time, it's actually happened. (And, I've realized that I really should have taken a lot more of them when I just had ONE child!) Naps have saved me. I'm a much nicer person to my husband when he gets home from work, and I enjoy my kids a lot more. And I know that once Caleb is successfully sleeping through the night (and he's SOOOOOOOO close), naps won't be as important and I can get back to the laundry and the dishes.

But I don't want to blog about sleeping! I want to talk about my mom-in-law. Brad's mom and grandma (from N.C.) spent a week with us right before Labor Day. I was SO NERVOUS about having both of them in my house for a whole week! I had to prepare special meals because of their diet, and Brad wasn't able to take any vacation days, and I just didn't know how helpful they would be...you know how sometimes company is more work than help. Anyway, Brad's mom was a WONDERFUL HELP! Anything I asked her to do, she lovingly did. She had a blast with Sammy, and took the kids for long walks so I could get my "scheduled" naps. Grandma even got to hold Caleb and read to Sammy. All my fears melted away, and I really enjoyed my time with them. It was such a special time for all of us.

I really love my mom-in-law, but I have been hard on her and had my moments when I've struggled with her. Life has been a lot harder for her since Brad's dad died over 7 years ago, and having her sons and her four grandchildren living so far from her is rough too. But she really is a wonderful lady. She's thoughtful and kind and wants to be a help to her daughters-in-law.

And after spending a week with her and watching her play and sing with Sammy, I am so glad God gave me her as my mom-in-law.

1 comment:

gianna said...

I'm so glad having them come was a blessing to you. You deserve a blessing! And naps are magic, aren't they?