Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Grad school joys and woes

It's been well over a month since I last blogged. While there have been many reasons why...friends visiting, church winter retreats, and my current addiction to playing Settlers of Catan on-line...the number #1 reason has been grad school. I have had grad school 3 out of the last 6 weekends, and I've read more than 400 pages and done countless hours of research for my mini-action research project during those 6 weeks. Since my work load has been so great, every free minute went to studying. I now have 4 weeks until my next weekend, and I'm giving myself a few days to get caught up on the rest of my life.

Even though some days I feel like I'm drowning in work and wondering why I got myself into this, I really am enjoying it so much. I really like the people in my co-hort, and I feel like so much of what we're studying (brain research, multiple intelligences, learning styles, differentiated learning, etc.) is so applicable and useful not only in the classroom but in both personal and professional relationships. I have already learned so much and have made changes in how I view students and their learning styles, my lesson plans, and curriculum. I've been able to share much of it with Brad, and will hopefully be doing my final action research project with him on the junior high Sunday school curriculum.

But it also has its downsides. Usually 4-5 days before another work weekend, I get really anxious and moody as I'm trying to finish all my work. On those days, I'm not the greatest mother or wife. And after I get home Sunday afternoon, I just want to relax because I'm so mentally exhausted, and I really don't want to put my "mommy" hat back on so that Brad can do work. I also sometimes struggle with some people in my groups that don't offer much to our group tasks. The last two weekends, one member of my group said, "well, I'm pretty much done...I've got nothing more to contribute," about 1-2 hours before our class was done. And I thought my 7th graders were unmotivated! It's also hard missing church and missing connecting with friends and students on Sunday morning.

But I feel very blessed to be able to do grad school at this point in my life. I feel challenged mentally and professionally, and I still feel connected to the classroom...even though it's been almost 3 years. I have also really appreciated my incredibly supportive husband who has printed out various materials for me and has watched the kids many Fridays so that I could finish my work.

The crazy thing is that after 2 more weekends, I'll be half-way done with school. Even though I may not use all the great information right away, I'm praying that God will use this experience to change and grow me and prepare me for the next phase of my life.

And I am very eager to experience all that He has for me.

1 comment:

gianna said...

A NEW POST! Yea! I can't say much being that I'm at work, but it's good to hear what's going on in your life!