Tuesday, March 13, 2007

The Big 3-0!

On Friday I celebrated my 30th birthday. Brad (whose 31st birthday was yesterday) and I had wanted to plan a game/movie night with some of our friends here in Brainerd, but almost every night since March 1 has been booked with some other event or activity. So perhaps later this month we can have a belated celebration with friends.

Brad and I did have a wonderful evening together, just the two of us. Even though we take Sammy pretty much wherever we go, we decided to get a sitter. And as I think about it, over the last year we've only really gotten sitters for Sammy if we're doing a group date or some special event for MOPS. I guess it really hasn't been a big deal for me to pack up some food or toys for her and take her along. I've just gotten used to waiting on her first before eating or carrying her around on all my errands. And she's usually such a great kid, we almost never have any disobedient behavior.

But on Friday Brad arranged a babysitter, and we had such a relaxing time together.

We went on a long walk in a really pretty part of town, went out to eat (at a restaurant that gives free meals on your birthday), ran a quick errand at Menards, and finished our evening at Cold Stone (where they also give you a free LOVE IT original ice cream if you join their on-line fan club). Now all these things we could have done easily with Sammy. But, especially during the meal, I realized that when Sammy's with us, I almost never eat my meal when it's fully warm. I realized that I didn't have to carry her food cooler or diaper bag. And there was no getting her in and out of the car seat (which is a task I DO NOT enjoy). We had some really good conversation on our walk and during our meal, and I felt so relaxed that I almost forgot I had children!

Even though Brad and I work really hard at making sure we have time together and time for each of us to spend without Sammy, I spend so much time with her that she's almost like having another arm. While I think it's good not to feel inconvenienced by your child and to add them into all areas of your life, I also think time away from her makes me a better mom. And maybe I don't mind being with her so much because I know how CRAZY life is going to get in four months when her baby brother shows up.

I still can’t quite put my finger on it…but I do know that as I become older and more children are added to our family, the time I spend without them is sometimes just as important as the time I spend with them. Because the more relaxed and refreshed I am, the better mom I am to them.

2 comments:

gianna said...

here here!

Anonymous said...

I love birthdays, Happy belated birthday!