Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Ode to my husband

Yesterday I was overcome with what an amazing man I am married to. I was sitting at my MOPS table, having a wonderful time chatting about our kids and our lives, and as I listened to the other women share about their husbands and what they do (and don't do) around the house, with the kids, etc. I was so proud to be married to Brad.

Now Brad is not perfect (and neither am I), but he does have some wonderful qualities. He's always had a good financial mind. We began investing early in our marriage and paid off all our college debt in just 4 1/2 years. We keep a pretty tight budget, but Brad has encouraged us to save a good amount in case of an emergency. He's knows some about car and home repair, but he's always willing to spend the time to research and ask people who know. He's not afraid to try to do something on his own or something new. (And I've learned it's okay if it takes him longer than normal or if he makes a big mess in the process.)

He's kept our marriage a priority and has added a "marriage enrichment" category to our budget so that we spend money on ourselves and dates and flowers for me! We've done three marriage retreats in 7 1/2 years, and have taken numerous adventurous trips together.

Over the years, he's helped me grade student's homework, traveled with me to speech meets in Wisconsin, stayed late with me at school, and has videotaped and done photography for my musicals. He's always supported my teaching and has even shown me tough love as I've tried to do too much. He's been my biggest encourager, and has agreed to make the financial sacrifice so that I can go to grad school this fall.

Daily I am so grateful for his love and devotion to Samantha. There is nothing he wouldn't do for her, and he is a big help with her in the evenings and weekends. He can make her laugh like no one else can. Even though we do cloth diapers, he's never complained about changing her. He even dresses her and does her hair from time to time. And as I've gotten bigger and more uncomfortable, he's stepped up and given Sammy baths and has given me the chance to rest.

He's still my best friend and I would rather be with him than anyone else. And even though we don't always do it very often, we do read marriage and parenting books and pray together. Even if the business of life gets in the way, I know that it is still a priority to him that we do it.

I often take Brad for granted and just expect him to do certain things and be a certain way. But I'm learning that a lot of husbands out there are NOT like Brad, and he really does a lot for me and for our family.

And for that I am very grateful.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aww he sounds like a really good husband and dad!

Jenny Aust said...

Sammy and I are very blessed to have him in our lives!

gianna said...

You are such an encouragement me to see the good in my husband. I am reading Sacred Influence by Gary Thomas. It's really a good book about being the wife your husband needs so that he can be the husband you want. But it mostly talks about he is already who you want him to be and as a wife, I need to change my focus and my prayers for Chris. I think you would be surprised by it and would probably like it.

Jenny Aust said...

Sounds like a great book. Kudos to you for having time to read a grown-up book with work, a husband, and two kids! I've realized that it's more about who God made Brad to be and less about what I expect him to be. I'll have to read that book...sometime in the next three months!