Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Rich

Currently my women's multi-generational Sunday School class is watching Rob Bell's "Nooma" videos. Each video is about 10-15 minutes, and the rest of our class time we spend in prayer, small and large group discussion, journaling, reading scripture or other devotional type passages. Each class has hit a spiritual cord in my life, and I've loved learning and discussing these topics with both my junior girls and older women in our church.

This past week was pretty profound for me. It was entitled "Rich." Rob Bell first began by listing some staggering statistics of what percentage of the world's population owns a car or has running water or has more than one pair of shoes. As he talked further and we later discussed as a group, I couldn't help but think about all that I had. The things that I've longed for (a new couch, minivan, new flip-flops) just faded from my mind. I realized how blessed I truly was...not only by material possessions, but by my family, friends, and church.

Then I began to think of what materialism has done in my life...made me discontent and envious. Just a few nights ago, Brad and I read this passage from Shepherding a Child's Heart. "If man's chief end is to glorify God and enjoy him forever, how do we teach children to function in this culture? We teach them to find their soul's delight in going places and doing things. We fill their young lives with distractions from God. We give them material things and take delight in their delight in possessions. Then we hope that somewhere down the line they will see that a life worth living is found only in knowing and serving God." It was a pretty convicting passage for us. So then should Brad and I sell everything we have? Should we stop buying toys for Sammy? Where is the balance?

I think God gives for a reason…He blesses us so we can bless others. And no matter how much or how little we have, ALL of us can give something everyday...our time, knowledge, kindness, help, love...the list goes on and on. And isn't that what the first church in Acts 2 was all about?

Maybe the real question is not be how much money I spend on Sammy, but who will I bless today?

5 comments:

gianna said...

Great thought. It's hard not to get angry with yourself for having what we have. We have to be careful to not think of it as useless, but be truly thankful that God has blessed us! For each thing, just not the idea in a general sense.

Jenny Aust said...

It's so good to be brought back to reality. It's so easy to look at others (and their stuff) when our focus should be on God.

Anonymous said...

I find myself being focused on wanting material things a lot. It's hard sometimes to not forget that those things don't even matter. I think you have a really good thoughts on it- we should definatley be more focused on God. I think every person has times where they make material things way more important then they should.

Anonymous said...

Sorry the comment that says anonymous was from me, I forgot to put my name.

Jenny Aust said...

You're so cute Courtney! Thanks for the comment. Materialism is a struggle no matter how much money you have or how old you get. We just gotta remember that we can't take anything with us!