Friday, June 01, 2007

Youth Worker's Retreat



Every year, our Evangelical Free Church district hosts a retreat for all Minnesota youth workers and their families at Camp Shamineau. We haven't been able to go in two years, but this year we were SO EXCITED to get to know some other youth pastors and their wives and just to get away for the weekend. May and June have become our busiest months since last August, and Brad (especially) and I were feeling a heavy burden.

We had such a wonderful time connecting with some old friends (Dave & Tina and Kyle & Emilie) and meeting some new ones. It was fun to "go to camp" with Sammy. She loved playing on the playground, walking around camp, and seeing Shamineau Island. (She wasn't too sure about the ponies though...maybe next year...but she LOVED campfire donuts!) Brad got to give everyone an update about our youth pastor search...Andy and Jen will be here in a month! Yahoo! And I stayed up WAY TOO LATE talking with 4 other wives on Friday night.

While I know that Brad had a nice time, he still gets drained by building new relationships and talking youth ministry. I think he walked away with a better perspective on who he is and how God is continuing to use him. Plus Brad has some great ideas he was able to share. But it was probably more of a restful break for me. I loved having Brad around all weekend, and childcare was provided for all the sessions. I forgot how good it was to hang out with other YP wives...and share the sorrows and joys of ministry, parenting, motherhood, and youth group students. We laughed and laughed and laughed! I also got to hang out with Betsy (Reece) Anderson. She was a couple of years older than me at Northwestern, and I look up to her so much. She is a fountain of wisdom and information. I loved soaking up all that she shared.
I love being a mom. I love being married to a youth pastor. And I love being at Lakewood. It is an incredibly healthy church, and throughout the weekend I was reminded again and again of that. (Some of our friends are in REALLY hard situations at their church...very similar to our last church, and I was filled with such empathy for them.) But some days are rough. Some days I miss going on youth retreats. I miss getting up and going to work every day. I miss having free time to do what I like and to be spontaneous with my husband.
But when I shift my eyes off myself and onto all that God has blessed us with, I truly see the selfishness of my ways. And along with being being refreshed and energized from being with some truly wonderful people, I am overwhelmingly grateful for all I have.


5 comments:

gianna said...

So what's up with the youth pastor search. I want to know before you have your baby!

Jenny Aust said...

Andy and Jen (son of our executive pastor) candidated the first week in May. They met with the search committe, pastoral staff, elders, and the entire congregation. (It was pretty intense for them.) Our church voted 98% to call them. They may be here as early as the last week in June. Yahoo!

gianna said...

WHAO! That's great! Especially for your family. I'll have to call you for all the details!

The hopeless gardener said...

btw- u spelled reese incorrectly. it is an 's' not a 'c'.

Jenny Aust said...

Thanks for watching out for me Chris. You're always there for me during those big moments in my life.