Monday, July 28, 2008

They're all grown up!


This past season of graduation open houses was far harder than most years. Six beautiful girls, whom I have known and loved these past four years, left high school behind. These girls have eaten cookie dough at my house until the wee hours of the morning, played with Sammy while I've nursed or changed Caleb for the 100th time, shared their triumphs and struggles with me, met for countless dates at Coco Moon and Perkins, and have left a lasting impact on my life.


I don't know who has changed more, me or them. I have seen some of them bloom into amazing women after God's own heart. One has overcome some deep fears and allowed God to use her to speak to hundreds of students. One found her place in another youth group, yet my home has always been a place for her to chat and get a free meal. Another struggled all year to find herself...and while she's made progress, I know she's still trying to understand who God is calling her to be...not what she thinks others want her to be.


One is learning that her place isn't to pursue guys, and even though it is so hard for her, she's learning to trust God with her heart. Another has been in turmoil all year with her family, and I'm afraid she will take a lot of baggage and unreasolved issues with her to college. And the last one is incredibly smart, but I wonder how she will do without the comforts of home.


I am eternally grateful to God for each of them. And I'm thankful that they have each allowed me to walk alongside them during these last four years. And I'm grateful for what each of them has taught me about being in God's word DAILY and following Him wholeheartedly.


I know that God has some amazing things ahead for these ladies, and I can't wait to see how God uses them for His glory!

No comments: