Tuesday, August 10, 2010

A future Olympian?

Brad and I have been doing youth ministry for awhile now. One thing we talked about early in our marriage was how we were not going to get over committed and get our kids in every activity. We saw the effect that too many activities had on families and in the lives of our students.

Once we started having children, we talked again about extracurricular activities and decided our children were not going to be in something every night of the week.

It's been pretty easy, up to now, to keep that commitment. But the older our kids get, the more pressure we I feel to get them into swimming lessons, dance, gymnastics, t-ball, etc...

I mean, all my friends have their kids in activities...

Even though I know the age old saying...

"if your friends jumped off a cliff, would you?"

...it's still hard to listen (and see pictures on facebook and blogs) and not let it sway me.

Then add the fact that I know Sammy would absolutely LOVE doing these things, and I'm all mixed up inside.

So after reading the Brainerd Lakes Summer Community Education booklet this past spring, Brad and I again revisited this discussion.

As a side note, Brad and I take FOREVER to make a decision. We think about EVERY possible angle of the situation...from how much time, money, and energy it will take to how it will ultimately shape our children.

Yes people, we're a little strange that way...

But it's a big deal. Our ministry schedules are busy enough...is it really wise to add something else?

Anyway, we've decided that swimming lessons are non-negotiable. We are living in the land of 10,000 lakes for heaven's sakes, and swimming is a survival skill. The rest...well, not so much.

So after much debate...and I mean much debate, I signed Sammy up for a 3 week (6 class) gymnastics class.

And I really am so glad I did!

She LOVED it, and really learned quite a bit in a short time.

She's adventurous and a bit of a dare devil, so doing some of the stunts and techniques were right up her alley. She soon was doing a lot of moves on the apparatuses by herself.


I'm pretty sure she was obsessed with the chalk. Who wouldn't be?


I couldn't believe what they were teaching the 3-6 year olds...especially on the uneven bars. Sammy now loves doing pull-ups.













The teachers were students and coaches from Brainerd High. They did a really great job with the kids.













The one bummer was that class was at 2:30. I mean, really? That's nap time people! What was I going to do with Caleb?













He was actually a gem! Give that kid a couple of CARS cars...thanks to Grandma Aust...and he's a really good kid!













Another thing that I will continue to do...if/when Sammy is in another activity, is to do with with a friend. Not only did Sammy have a little friend to do all the cool stuff with, but I also was able to hang out with a girlfriend during their 45 minute class. So Amy and I were able to chat...and keep our eyes on our other 4 children...and Izzy and Sammy got to "play" together.


Aren't they cute!

So whatcha think? Does she have a future as an Olympian?

Probably not, but I am glad we made the decision to let her do this. Watching your children take such delight in something so simple is really a joy. And while we're not signing her up for fall...and winter...and spring gymnastics, it was a great experience that I hope we will do again in the future.

5 comments:

Jess said...

Oh, look at her face! Priceless!

Betty Aust said...

I SO enjoyed watching Sammy when I was up there a month ago! She really is a natural at gymnastics! She is a dare devil & so flexible! I could see that she really loved it!

Betty Aust said...

I SO enjoyed watching Sammy when I was up there a month ago! She really is a natural at gymnastics! She is a dare devil & so flexible! I could see that she really loved it!

Betty Aust said...

This silly blog sent my message twice.

ediegrogg said...

so fun when they start becoming their own little person