Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Valentine's Day


Brad and I decided early in our marriage that we weren’t going to celebrate Valentine’s Day. We felt it was an advertising ploy to get consumers to spend money to those they should be showing love and appreciation to during the rest of the year. Plus it created unrealistic expectations for both men and women…which sometimes created a lot of hurt and anger if those “expectations” weren’t met.

Because of this, we’ve been able to enjoy some real and memorable surprises that have landed on this day.

Two years ago, I raced home from school and took one of many pregnancy tests. We had been trying to get pregnant for several months with no success. But I was sure on this day that I was finally pregnant. I had wanted to take it when Brad was home, but I had devised a way to tell Brad the news that was a bit different. After I found out I was truly pregnant, I raced to Brad’s office and put on my best Academy Award performance about how I had taken a test and it had been negative AGAIN. He consoled and comforted me, and then I pulled out the test. He looked at me quizzically, and I finally told him the truth. We celebrated that February 14 at the Green Mill with a heart shaped pizza.

This year Brad told me that we were going out on the 13th, but he didn’t give me ANY details. For almost a month Brad kept it a secret from me…which is hard for him to do. So last night, the babysitter that Brad had previously set up arrived. We drove off, and Brad pulled into a local movie rental place about a mile from our house. Now I was really confused! Why were we at a movie rental place when we had just left Sammy with a babysitter at home! Within just a couple of minutes, Gene and Julie Squires and Dawn and John Bolduc…the two ministry assistants that Brad works with and their husbands…showed up. Julie and Dawn also had NO IDEA what was going on. We figured out that we were doing a triple date, but we didn’t know what we were doing. So we jumped in our cars and drove to Crosslake, a nearby town. We drove up to the Log Church for what ended up being a dinner theater. The meal was great, and we had a wonderful time being together and listening to the performance. Brad did a great job!

One of the things that has been hard for me to learn in my marriage is to not make unrealistic expectations for Brad. I have cried many tears and have gotten angry at him many times because of my foolish thinking. But I have learned not to over analyze what he may or may not be doing or planning, but to be grateful for the times he surprises me with flowers or with a meal out.

And instead of chocolates or roses, I have a wonderful memory of good friends, good food, and a great evening out.

4 comments:

gianna said...

Ooh, how fun! That is so great! Way to go Brad! We are with you on the no Valentine's Day celebrations! But a surprise is ALWAYS fun!

Jenny Aust said...

It was such a nice evening. I often forget that I'm married to such a great guy. (Isn't it terrible how often we take advantage of our husbands and not thank them enough for what they do!) I am so grateful for who he is and what he does to make time for us as a couple.

Anonymous said...

Thats so cute! You must have a really great husband. Thanks for the comment on my blog too

Jenny Aust said...

I love reading your blogs Courtney! I think I just posted another comment on your newest one. And I LOVE your new background! Very cool!