Saturday, December 12, 2009

A quiet Thanksgiving...

I love being with our extended family. I love seeing our nieces and nephews and hanging out with the brothers and sisters-in-law and talking and playing games until late at night.

But, sometimes, it is such a joy (and a refreshing change) to be able to celebrate a holiday *shhhhhhh* by ourselves.

No driving, no packing, no cleaning every square inch of my home, no schedule...just the 4 of us.

Fall is such a busy time for Brad and since we were away from our kids for 10 days last month, we just felt like we needed to bunker down at home and spend some quality time with each other and Sammy and Caleb.

So we slept in Thanksgiving day and had a very late brunch (waffles and cinnamon rolls-YUM!) and starting cooking "the big meal" mid-morning. The kids were so excited to help make the stuffing and sweet potatoes.


Sammy loves getting on her apron and hat.


While I know Caleb loves to help in the kitchen, I think he's mostly just after the FOOD!

After a great (and quite huge) meal, (did I mention I cooked a 20 pound bird...for just the 4 of us...I have such "mommy mush brains" right now), we just enjoyed a quiet evening getting our house ready to decorate the next morning. Oh, and one other side note, this year was the first year...well, that Brad and I can remember...that I had everything warm and ready at the same time.

It only took me 10 years...

So, bright and early the next morning, we got out our BRAND NEW artificial tree (that we bought half price after Christmas last year...oh, and one other side note...our previous artificial tree...that we bought for $6.00 at a Good Will store over 12 years when we were in college...the one that could have been used for the Charlie Brown Christmas special...has finally been laid to rest) and we decorated with the kids.


I cannot describe how fun it was to take our time, give up control, and let the kids help us in their own way.


Although it took us about 3 times as long with the kids' help, we had a ton of fun...


had some pretty silly moments...


and took tons of pictures.


It truly is the most WONDERFUL time of the year!

2 comments:

Jess said...

I totally hear you on the "quiet" Thanksgiving. We stayed home and just had Scott's parents here, which is almost as quiet as we have ever had. It was nice.

gianna said...

what a perfect thanksgiving! great job keeping all the food warm! i'm so proud of you. i still haven't made the Thanksgiving meal. maybe one day when i'm done having babies!