Wednesday, March 10, 2010

"Vacation" to Grandma and Papa's House

Now, it hasn't been very fair to talk only about our trip out West. Because while Brad and I were in Colorado, the kiddos were having a great time on a little vacation of their own at my parent's house.

I cannot stress enough how much my kids love going to Papa and Grandma's house. And my parents are equally delighted with having them come.

For the longest time...well, since Brad and I first left Sammy and Caleb with my parents (or anyone for that matter) for longer than a night or two...I struggled with leaving my children in the care of others.

I think a large part of it had to do with control. I was the best one to care for them, and I knew what to do in any situation...

But another part of it, the part I really don't want to admit, was my whole "fear of man" issue. What were people going to think of me after learning that I was leaving my kids with someone else for 6 or 7 or 10 days in a row? What kind of parent leaves her children for that long?

It's taken me quite a long time to get past this, and even though I still wonder what some friends or family really think about us leaving our children for such a long time TWICE in the past four months, I am caring less and less what they think.

Because...well, there are only really two opinions that matter...God's and my husband's. I've hashed it out quite a bit with God over the last few months during my Sabbath time, and I really feel at peace about the decisions we've made over the past few years concerning leaving our children under someone else's care. And Brad is certainly in agreement. He has seen what a difference it makes in me and in our marriage when I take the time to put him first and to spend time with only him.

So, while my parents (and others) are still healthy (and limber) enough to watch and care for our kids, we will keep giving them the opportunity to do so...but not anytime soon, as Baby Girl Aust should be arriving in less than 4 weeks!

Anyway, here are some "highlights" of Sammy and Caleb's recent vacation to North Dakota!

My son's obsession with trains is pretty comical. Just give him some time and a few boxes (or toy compartments) and he will create his own train. (He actually let Sammy "drive" this train...he must love his sister very much!)


He as also loved washing his hands at Grandma's house. (I think he just liked all the foam soap my mom has.)


My dad is such a good sport! I don't remember him playing like this when I was a little girl, but it brings such joy to me seeing him be silly and playing dress-up with Sammy.

Sammy's also a pretty persuasive little girl...he may not have had much of a choice!


The evening we were at Todd's rehearsal dinner, I called my parents to check up on the kids. Both Sammmy and Caleb were WIRED and could not stop talking about what they did with Grandma that day.

I was pretty impressed that my mom did this with them...especially Caleb. When I asked her why she decided to dye eggs, her response was, "I was running out of craft ideas!"

They seriously have talked non-stop about coloring eggs!


They also cooked and baked a bunch with Grandma. Here Caleb is helping make brownies.


Grandma also has some of the best games around. The kids were intently watching "Topsey Turtle" and waiting to be able to take some of the colored pieces out from under the turtle.


Sammy especially loves all the little people, ponies, and other dolls at Grandma's house. She would create some of the craziest stories while she was playing at the kitchen table.


Oh, and I can't forget one of the highlights for both Papa and Caleb...napping/sleeping together. Caleb is a cuddle-bug, and was a pro at sweet talking Grandma and Papa into letting him cuddle and fall asleep in their bed.

Even though my dad looks kinda creepy in this picture...like he is dead instead of sleeping...I just love seeing them together.


I am truly grateful for both my parents and Brad's mom. Grandparents are wonderful, and my children have come to know and love all of them...even their two great-grandparents. They are not only a blessing to us as they provide extra help and time to get away, but they also bless our children with their self-less love and sacrifice of time, money and energy.

I hope and pray that Brad and I will be able to do the same for our children some day.

2 comments:

ediegrogg said...

Very fun to read about the kidos and their adventures. I know that it is so special when gr&gr get to spend time with our little ones. sweet pics too:) Can't help but fallin love with them:)

gianna said...

I love it (especially the picture that you commented that your dad looks DEAD)! I'm so glad you have been able to enjoy time with Brad and that your kids have had such a fabulous time! I'm so happy for you guys! Oh, and I also LOVE the train.