Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Advent 2011

I LOVE Christmas! I love planning for it...I love decorating...I love making cookies...I really love every little detail about it!

I especially love thinking through Advent Activities for our children every year.

The only trouble with my great obsession and contemplation and preparation about this time of the year was our very busy family schedule...right around the 1st of December this past year.

Brad preached a lot this past fall and in addition to his preaching schedule, he taught a weekly men's leadership class, took part in a twice a month preaching class, attended countless elder meetings, prepared for his first "wedding," and filled out a MOUNTAIN of paperwork (and one 12 page paper) for his seminary application.

Ugh. I get dizzy just thinking about the last couple of months...

Anyway, our Advent Activities started a bit late, but we had a great time doing them each day. But as I was going through pictures, I realized I took only a few pictures of a handful of projects. And our newest activity, a "Jesse Tree" which I loved was completely undocumented in digital form.

Ugh. Let it go...it's okay...

"Hi. My name is Jenny, and I suffer from 'mommy guilt'."

A little confession is good for the soul. I feel much better!

Now where was I? Oh, right!

Here are a couple of the activities we did this past December.

Decorating the tree...


Caleb really is a cutie...when he's not trying to drive one of his trucks over his sister or trying to climb up bookcases...


And what was Hannah's obsession this past Christmas? Keeping a close eye on Baby Jesus from the nativity scene. She made it her job to always know where he was!


We also made a bunch of Christmas cards to hand out when we went Christmas caroling. I love how Caleb sticks his tongue out when he's concentrating really hard. Just like daddy!


Pretty, pretty!


Thank God for color wonder! (Hannah was desperate to join in on the fun.)


Then I attached ribbon and a little card with the words, "Merry Christmas" for the residents of the nursing home we visited.


We also made a "countdown to Christmas" for each child. Sammy and Caleb helped Hannah make her Christmas tree one.

Did you notice Caleb's tongue again?


Sammy and Caleb each made links for their individual countdown.

I know this picture is not the greatest one of Sammy, but take a look out my front window. This picture was taken on December 20. Notice anything missing from my Minnesota yard? Crazy, isn't it!


Overall, we had a great time with Advent. Some of our other activities included:
* reading Christmas themed books
* playing Christmas bingo
* making Christmas cookies
* wrapping presents
* reading about the Legend of the Candy Cane
* doing Christmas mazes and coloring sheets
* making a Jesus in a manger craft
* reading from Scripture and hanging our Jesse Tree ornaments every evening
* have a birthday party for Jesus
* a bunch of other things that I can't remember!

As the kids get older, it has become a privilege and a joy to help them focus on the true meaning of Christmas: the coming of our Savior to reconcile us back to our loving and holy Creator.

And that is truly amazing!

3 comments:

gianna said...

sounds fun! Are you going to call me or email me soon?
No pressure of course.

Betty Aust said...

testing, testing

Betty Aust said...

I love this blog! What is a Jesse tree? It's so much fun seeing what my grandkids are doing & learning since I can't be with all of them more often. How you have time for all of this is beyond me? What memories & learning about Christ in Christmas that the kids will remember! Do you share your ideas with Sarah & Erica? You 3 gals should do this!