Monday, May 24, 2010

Blessings...

Even though my parents live 6 hours away, they have been very involved with our children's lives. They have watched our kiddos countless times for weekends away, youth and other various retreats, trips to Colorado, and our 10 year anniversary cruise last November. They have watched the kids at their home near Bismarck, ND, and have also driven to Brainerd many times.

They are amazing grandparents!

I remember the first time we left Sammy overnight. Brad and I were headed to a weekend marriage retreat in Duluth, and we left not quite 1 year old Sammy at our house with Grandma and Papa.

I cried the first 10 minutes after we drove away.

I am not kidding.

I also left a 7 page note, that's right folks, 7 pages of detailed notes about Sammy's schedule, food menu, medicine and other bits of information about how to run the furnace and the VCR.

Again, I am not kidding.

My mom told me months later she and dad cracked up when they read my "note."

"As if we haven't raised children or know how to adjust the temperature..." they said to each other while chuckling at my insane details.

Yes, I am a bit of a control freak...but I assure you I have toned down since then. I think my last note for my parents when we left the kiddos with them in February was about a page long.

Either I've toned down or I've realized that any question Grandma would need answered, Sammy is fully capable of answering...or Sammy thinks she is capable of answering.

If you've met Sammy you would know that Sammy knows everything about everything and is not afraid to admit it.

Prayers (and advice) for how to parent "the child who knows everything" would be greatly appreciated!

Anyway, my parents weren't able to come down right away to see Hannah, but did make it down within her first 2 weeks of life.

They simply could not get enough of my sweet baby girl.


My mom just kept crying when she first held Hannah. I know it was a pretty special time for her because she had always wished she would have had more children.


My dad was pretty smitten with her as well. There is nothing my dad likes better than rocking babies...


...well, that and letting my pre-schoolers play doctor with him.


And his broken arm was the perfect excuse for him to need his own doctor and nurse.


Caleb had to put his medical skills to good use too.


I am so grateful for their visit, no matter how short it was. I am also grateful at how they love and grandparent my kids. Sammy, Caleb, and Hannah (and Brad and I) are truly blessed!

3 comments:

Betty Aust said...

I had 2 to 3 pages of questions for Dr. Murn in St. Cloud when I went in for Brian's 6 weeks check-up. So don't feel bad. Most every new Mom does this! We grandparents just chuckle remembering our insecurities as a new Mom. Every stage in life is full of new experiences & learning. By the time we learn it all, we're in the 90's & don't care. That's why the Bible says the younger should learn from the older person, no matter what age you are! Also, some of your suggestions & facts were probably helpful! Under your new picture of your family, you have that you are blessed with 2 kids, but with Hannah in the picture, it should be 3 kids!

Betty Aust said...

Oh yes, I'm so glad your parents came down! I miss them, too! Holding babies is special. Dick loved holding babies & playing with children, too! Children are blessed by grandparents & grandparents are blessed by grandchildren! At least, that's the way it's suppose to work by God's design. I'm sure Samantha & Caleb were the perfect nurses for Papa! Their love & attention helped his spirit the most!

ediegrogg said...

that's so awesome. So glad they are good to you and your little family.