Tuesday, August 18, 2009

The apple doesn't fall far from the tree!

I love books, and I love to read. When I was a child, my mom would punish me (you know when I talked back or didn't finish my chores) by taking away my books.

Yes, I was that kind of nerd!

So when I chose English Education as my major, it really didn't come as a big surprise to anyone.

For six years I taught some of the greatest young adult novels...To Kill A Mockingbird, The Giver, Hatchet...just to name a few. I LOVED teaching those books and also passing along my love of reading to my students.

Now that I have two small children, reading...well, ANYTHING...is a challenge. And for the past two years, all I've really read have been text books for my graduate work. So getting back into a groove of "reading for fun" has been harder than I thought.

So even though I don't have the time to curl up with a good book for 2-3 hours a day, I do curl up on the couch for at least 40 minutes a day with my kiddos. They each pick 3 books (sometimes more than that) at nap time and bedtime, and I read them stories about trucks, fairy tales, Thomas the Train, Noah and the Ark, and how to pray. I LOVE this time! And now that Caleb can actually sit for longer than 2 seconds, it is such a treat to cuddle with them and read to them.

But even greater than that is the fact that they LOVE to read on their own!


They love books and going to the library. Caleb is especially enamored with anything having to do with trains or trucks.


Sammy also LOVES being the "teacher" and reading to me.


They spent hours looking at books and reading side by side.


It makes this lady one "proud mama"!

3 comments:

Micah said...

I am one of THOSE people too. I love to read, and so do my kids, but Tyson is still not able to sit through much. Reese would read for hours on end, and I cannot wait until Tyson will sit for a little longer!

The Thompsons said...

What precious kids you have! I love their bedroom walls too! Happy Tuesday!

gianna said...

we would get in trouble and HAVE to go outside and couldn't read! I remember arguing with my mom that lots of moms WANT their kids to read and that she should be happy that we would read all day!