Monday, August 03, 2009

Today was a good day...

I know I've been complaining a bit about Brad's schedule this summer. Granted, it has been very busy and a bit rough on our family the last few weeks, but this is the lifestyle that we choose to live.

And it's a life that we would never want to change.

But despite being a single mom, and despite Caleb crying for his daddy at 6:00 in the morning, and despite having to change EVERY diaper...today has been a good day.

This morning Caleb woke up early, but was easily comforted back to sleep. And after Sammy woke up, she cuddled in bed with me for a few minutes and then headed back to her room to play for awhile. And I didn't get out of bed until 8:00!

That, in itself, is a miracle!

Then we headed to a play date with some friends. How I LOVE play dates! They have breathed such life into me this summer. Connecting with other moms and meeting new ones has been so thrilling. I am such an organizer and connector and extrovert that this totally turns my crank.

After three hours at the park, I took two very, very tired children home for nap time. I was able to clean the house a bit and spend some time on the computer relaxing. I LOVE nap time!

Then, right after Caleb woke up, it was time to head into church to have supper with Brad and the rest of the Missions: Brainerd students.

(FYI, Missions: Brainerd is an entry level missions trip that all our students are required to do before they participate in any other missions trip. Students sleep and eat every meal at our church and serve our community all week. In the past, we've done Vacation Bible School, back yard clubs, painted homes for the United Way, done lawn care and landscaping, walked dogs at our humane society, and a variety of other things.)

This year, our students were sponsoring a "parent's night out" and offered free babysitting for three hours.

That's right, free babysitting!

And even though I tried to convince Brad to sneak out on a date with me (he's kinda running the trip, so that really wasn't going to happen), it was such a glorious night for me.

Sammy and Caleb got to be with the same friends from this morning AND Brad decided to stay in Caleb's room to spend some much needed "daddy time" with him.

It was such a blessing for me, Brad, and our kids!

Not to mention the other couples and single parents that were able to enjoy a night out. (Oh, and they even handed out a bunch of $5.00 coupons at area restaurants! They really did think of everything!)

So I got to run errands...by myself! No car seats, not whiny kids, no making sure Caleb hadn't climbed out of the cart! My errands got done so quick! (Totally underestimated how long they would take me BY myself!)

I also got to spend some time reading and doing my devotions. And I also went on a three mile run!

It was so refreshing!

Brad made sure the kiddos were in their pajamas when I picked them up, and after a few stories (and a light snack) at home, they were off to sleeply land.

What a good day!

You know, I really don't think we stop to enjoy the good days enough. And even if we do, our memories of them fade so fast.

Oh, but it's easy to remember the rough days...the days that we wanted to climb back into bed and hide under the covers. The days that we wanted someone else to come and take our children away. The days that we thought would never end.

It's our human nature to remember the bad and not the good.

But that's not what God wants us to do.

Psalm 106:12-13 says, "Then they believed his promises (remembered what He had done) and sang his praise. But they soon forgot what he had done and did not wait for his counsel."

He wants us to remember who He is and what He has done for us and NOT remember the lies that Satan tells us every day. The lies that we aren't good enough mothers or that people don't like us or that we must be the only person struggling...

And He longs for us to DAILY remember Him...that's why He says over and over and over again in Deuteronomy..."do not forget."

"be careful that you do not forget the Lord, who brought you out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery." -- Deuteronomy 6:12

So, today I will remember...remember a wonderful time spent with my children and my friends....remember the gift of THREE wonderful hours...remember that God does and will continue to provide exactly what I need, when I need it.

I will remember...

1 comment:

Micah said...

You are exactly right. We are so quick to dismiss all the good moments, and dwell on everything negative. I feel like God needed me to read your post this morning, because I have been "strugging" as well, but not nearly like Luke has. He hates his job so much, and wants out more than I can even tell you, but right now, it is the only job that can support our family. We applied him for a GREAT job last night, so say a prayer we hear great news soon, and have a wonderful week!