Friday, October 09, 2009

Do I really want Jesus and where does my identity truly lie?

Ever since attending the "Desiring God" conference in Minneapolis a couple of weeks ago, I have been "chewing on" much of what I learned and heard there.

While most of the conference was focused on the life and work of John Calvin...since this year is the 500 anniversary of his birth...you cannot look at Calvin without being led to Christ.

Calvin's mission was to "know God and make Him known."

That's it.

And in his short life, he wrote a library full of commentaries on the Bible, challenged the church (and its great issues) of his day, taught pastors in Geneva, and was openly involved with the political world around him.

He sought to know God...really know God, not just know about God, but know God intimately...

And he also wanted everyone around him to know this God like he did...thus his hundreds of writings, commentaries, and letters.

The final day of the conference, John Piper shared one of his greatest fears of the church today. He compares the life of Calvin to some Christians today. He worries that many will stand before Christ one day, and Christ will say, "I never knew you." He fears that some love God because of what "He can do for them..." They want His promises, blessings, and all that is offered...but they don't want Jesus...

really want Jesus.

How many people do I know that want the Christian life, but really don't want to know Jesus intimately? They agree with everything they hear on Sunday morning and are able to talk the talk, but do they really long to know Christ?

Do I truly long to know Christ, or am I only in it for what He can do for me?

Ouch!

Where does my affection lie? Is it with Christ, or with other things in this world?

So as these thoughts have been lingering in the back of my mind, my attention has turned to a new study of the Gospel of John in my Bible Study Fellowship class. This week we've been in John 1 and have been meeting John the Baptist and Jesus' first five disciples.

I have been amazed by these men.

As I've been studying and reading about John the Baptist and Andrew in particular, I have been so captivated by them.

These men were so humble...so willing to put others before themselves. John could have stayed in the limelight...baptizing and calling more disciples. But instead he understood what his role was...he knew what he was called to do. And that was to be a voice, to be the forerunner to Christ, to point others to the Messiah.

Andrew was one of the first disciples called and what was the first thing he did...tell his brother Simon (Peter). Peter later becomes a cornerstone of Christ's church. But Andrew...not a lot is mentioned specifically about him.. But when it is, he is ALWAYS bringing someone to Christ...first his brother, then the boy with 5 loaves and 2 fish, and then the Greeks. He fades into the background...much like what John eventually does once he proclaims Christ as the "Lamb of God."

Both these men knew who they were. They were confident in themselves because they looked at themselves through the eyes of Christ. He alone defined who they were...not others or the world around them.

So, who or what defines who you are?

Who or what defines me?

Where does my true identity lie?


I could kid myself and say, "Christ, of course!" But most days, that is not the case.

My children's behaviour defines how good of a mom I am...

My house defines what kind of housekeeper I am...

What I do for God defines what kind of Christian I am...

Is that why so many of us are discontented? We really don't know who we are so we anguish and worry and fret about ourselves.

I don't want to be the center of attention...but I WANT Christ to be. I don't want people to remember me when they leave my presence...but I WANT them to remember Christ. I don't want to be insecure...but I WANT to be content with who God has made me and what He has called me to do.

I must decrease and He must increase.

Or, in the words of John Calvin, "I want to know God and make Him known."

Where does your identity lie?

No comments: