Sunday, January 24, 2010

"Experiencing" Christmas

A couple of years ago, Brad and I stole a great "Christmas presents for kids" idea from some good friends.

Because the the best ideas for parenting are usually stolen!

Anyway, we were torn with what to do about Christmas presents for our kids. We felt like they already received enough presents from grandparents and other family members that we didn't think they needed any more from us.

But we didn't think we could get away with not getting our kids presents either.

Might come across as borderline child abuse if we did that!

So, after hearing what some other friends do, we stole their Christmas tradition.

Sammy and Caleb each receive three Christmas presents from us. The number three represents the number of presents received by Christ by the Magi.

Now, just so that we are clear, I do not believe there were just three Magi...there were probably many, many more Magi and other servants in their entourage. And, just for more clarity, Christ was probably between 1 1/2 to 2 years of age by the time the Magi got to the house where Jesus and His family were living.

Just so that we're completely clear on that! One of my pet peeves is how "commercialized" the Christmas story is and how far off base some of our traditions are!

Okay, I'm now stepping off my soap box.

As I was saying...

Each of our children receive three presents. One present is practical...like new socks or underwear. Another present has spiritual relevance. Last year we got them a nativity scene that they were able to play with an act out when we read the Christmas story. This year we bought them a cloth Advent calendar with pockets that we used daily for our Advent activities. The third present is something fun. Since they really didn't need any more clothes or toys, Brad came up with the great idea of buying them an experience.

Oh, we did also buy them the movie Cars.

The poor kids did need to have something to open on Christmas morning!

Since our children are extreme sports kinda kids...they LOVE being thrown into the air and spun around in circles and have no fear at parks or at the beach...we decided to take them to the Nickelodeon Universe park at the Mall of America.

It was actually very cool! The kiddos could go on rides for 3 hours (for only $10 each), and Brad and I could ride with them for free.

Well, I could only ride a couple of rides due to my ever growing belly.

We had such a blast with them! Three hours was plenty of time to go on rides, and it was such a joy watching them have fun.

My "train obsessed" son had a ball riding on "Azul."



They both thought the hot air balloon was pretty cool.


Both kids needed to have chaperones to ride these "race cars."

I so should not have ridden in those cars! Talk about whiplash!


Thank goodness the kids liked the carousel...if not, I would have been stuck behind the camera most of the day!


The roller coaster was also a hit.


There were actually several rides that Sammy was able to go on alone.

I can't believe she's old enough to go on rides by herself! Someone seriously needs to tell her to stop growing up so fast!


The ultimate, most favorite, and most highly desired ride by both Sammy and Caleb was the Frog Hopper. This ride was only open 20 minutes per hour...BUMMER...but the kids still got to ride it several times.


I have never seen Caleb giggle and laugh before like he did on this ride!


Sammy chose to go on the carousel one last time before we left.

I'm really not sure what she's thinking (or doing), but I simply love her expression!


We had such a great day as a family. And even though it's going to be years before I get around to scrapbooking these pages, we will continue to look at the pictures on the computer with Sammy and Caleb and talk about the fun day we had.

Because, ultimately, I want to create memories with my children...and not just give them their current "favorite" toy. I want to spend quality time with them...not just give them something to keep them busy. And I want to laugh and play and act like a kid again...

even if the that means getting dirty looks from the ride operators as they see me (and my large belly) stuff myself into a little race car.

2 comments:

gianna said...

i've been trying all day to comment, but with trying to be diligent at work and playing, this is the first time i've gotten to.
this is all i have to say, "you stuffed yourself into a racecar?" YOU ARE CRAZY! I can't believe you do that! we are HUGE!

Betty Aust said...

This is awesome! I love the pictures & your thinking! I wish I could have been there with you all. Kids don't just want "things". They need love, touching & holding, people interaction & so on. There are lonely kids sitting in a room full of toys as well as happy kids playing with sticks & stones in the mud & sand with family & friends playing & laughing with them. The same holds true for adults & old people!