Tuesday, January 26, 2010

What they don't know won't hurt them...

One of the things I most looked forward to when pregnant with my first child was the camaraderie of being a mother along side my good friends.

Brad and I were the last of our college friends (all married the same summer) to have children. Even though I took great joy in their new additions (and in picking up some really great parenting tips), I eagerly awaited the day when my girlfriends and I could chat about our kids, exchange cloth diaper ideas, hand down clothes to one another, and be able to do play dates together.

Even though many...well, all of my college girlfriends live in the Cities, we still try to plan special get-togethers so that we (the adults) can have dinner, play games, get caught up on life and the wee-ones can run around, play dress-up, and have sleep overs.

The thing I love the best is that our children...well, Sammy for sure...thinks that these get-togethers are for HER! Our children are completely oblivious to the fact that we are getting together for OUR sake, not theirs.

What they don't know won't hurt them...

About a week and a half ago, a bunch of my Twin Cities and Brainerd friends and I had a scrapbooking weekend. It was a BLAST...aside from 3 of us getting sick, 1 child going to the emergency room, and another child with 103 temp...

anyway...

We had a GREAT time! One of my friend's, Dacia (who, by the way NEVER reads my blog, but really, really should) brought her whole family up for the weekend. She and her 8 month old little guy stayed with the rest of the girls and her husband, Andy, and 2 older daughters stayed with my husband and our two kids.

The four kids got to play like crazy, and our husbands got to play games all weekend.

Dacia and Andy also stayed for the Vikings game, and during half-time and at the end of the game, our daughters put on a very sweet dance recital for us.

They were moving around quite a bit, so a bunch of the pictures were blurry.

This is Sammy in her flower girl dress from this past summer.


Abby and her younger sister Lydia.


Just look at this picture! Lydia is pure sweetness!


And who could leave out the group hug at the end!


So, Sammy will continue to think that these visits and other play dates with friends are solely for her benefit...

because...what she doesn't know (or fully understand) won't hurt her!

4 comments:

gianna said...

adorable! and look at abby's nose! so cute!

ediegrogg said...

what fun...love the sweet pictures.

Anonymous said...

so, maybe I do read your blog from time to time...I need to get those pictures from you on CD. :)

Betty Aust said...

You're building precious memories. Your kids as well as the other kids will remember the fun times together, the love & laughter. They're creative, interacting with each other which is terrific. Playing is educational & healthy. They have to learn to give & take, organize, listen to each others feelings, communicate, share, think, plan, & so on. They feel safe & secure with adults around. They were aware of you all even if you didn't think so. You were an example to them. A child doesn't feel this sitting alone in a room full of toys trying to play when everyone is gone. Children do need play time alone some, but friends & relatives are vital to their development. Same is true for adults! Keep up the fun!