Monday, June 07, 2010

Memorial Day Weekend part 1

We had such a great Memorial Day weekend this year! It was full of time spent with family and extended family, graduation open houses, and a super day with friends here in Brainerd. And the weather was glorious...a great treat for our outdoor activities.

My brother, Jim, lives in Grand Forks, ND and we don't get to see him or his kids very often. But he was heading to Detroit Lakes to meet up with his wife's family, and decided to swing by Brainerd.

For those of you who know the area, Brainerd is about an hour and a half east of Detroit Lakes...

"swing by" is really a relative phrase...

But I'm grateful that he came a little out of his way to see us.

He was only able to stay about a day, but we managed to do a lot in that time. We grilled out and spent some time playing outside.

We walked to a playground and spent some time talking and playing some more.

Sammy adores all her cousins, but has a special place in her heart for Beth. They are like two peas in a pod and we can definitely tell they are related!


Jess, who is the oldest cousin at 13, loved taking care of Hannah. She is such a natural with babies!


Beth also enjoyed getting to know Hannah. And boy, oh boy, could she make Hannah smile!


We actually remembered to take a picture of all the Wiese grandchildren before my brother left. I think we took a couple hundred pics (okay, maybe that's a bit of an exaggeration...) and only 1 or 2 really turned out. Even though there were better ones than this, I just had to post this one because my daughter is so FUNNY!


Here's one with the adults too...minus my sister in law and her 2 girls.


I often take my family for granted, but I am so grateful for them right now. My brother and Brad and I stayed up late talking...while 4 of the 6 kids slept in the same room...which went quite well, I might add.

Seeing all our kids together was such a joy. This life is so short, and I don't want to miss any opportunities to spend time with those I love. Because, before I know it, Sammy will be having a graduation party like our students...

...and I will greatly miss these warm summer evenings with family.

2 comments:

ediegrogg said...

that's awesome Jenny. what a sweet family.

gianna said...

I'm so glad that the weekend turned out to be so much more than you expected!