Tuesday, June 15, 2010

A typical day...

Sometimes, as I drag my exhausted body into bed...

after I've gone past the dirty dishes on my kitchen counter...

and walked through the swamp of toys in the living room...

and throw the clean laundry off my bed and back into the laundry basket on the floor...

I wonder...

"just what did I do today?"

well, besides keep all of my children alive, which is my top priority.

Today I decided to keep track of the insanity which is my daily life.

Enjoy!

WARNING! LONG post ahead!

7:00 - Hubby's alarm goes off, but I stay nestled in bed for a few more minutes before...

7:25 - Hannah wakes up (after sleeping since 11:00 p.m. YAHOO!) and I nurse while sitting next to my honey on the couch as he reads from his Bible, then...

7:30 - two other adorable children...still rubbing their eyes...cuddle with us on the couch.

8:00 - I finish nursing and Brad makes oatmeal for breakfast.

8:30 - I put load #1 into the washer and join my family at the kitchen table and...

8:45 - say good-bye to Brad and wave with the children out the dining room windows...

9:00 - then continue to design an crazy train layout for the kiddos...


9:10 - and get them dressed for the day while Hannah takes her morning nap.

9:30 - I put load #2 into the washer and spend a few minutes "facebooking" a friend and making two phone calls...

9:45 - while the children continue to play nicely together.

10:00 - I start washing dishes from last night and talk to a friend who has called to ask what time gymnastics starts that afternoon...

10:10 - and I watch the children put their pajamas back on since they are playing "going to camp" and need to get ready for bed.

10:13 - I spend approximately 22 seconds laughing at my son trying to pull his 2 pillows and blankets into my room ("since that's where camp is mommy...it's not yours and daddy's room anymore") and end up carrying 1 pillow that he dropped along the way.

10:25 - I wake up Hannah, change her diaper, and nurse her...

10:30 - and cave and let my children watch 30 minutes of PBS television since their wonderful playing quickly changed to long episodes of yelling, pushing, pulling, and crying.

11:05 - The kids load up into the van to get groceries...which was not the best idea given it was pouring rain outside and was way too close to lunch time to be going to the grocery store in the first place.

11:10 - I realize ALL the kid's carts are wet, and I threaten explain in detail my expectations of Sammy and Caleb as we get groceries.

11:21 - All four of us wait for a couple of minutes in the produce section for the "thunder" and "rain."

11:22 - Produce worker smiles at the silliness of my children.

11:23 - I remind Caleb that he can only touch things with his pointer finger.

11:27 - I almost run over my two older children because I'm not used to them walking alongside me.

11:59 - Grocery shopping is a SUCCESS and I let both kids get a free cookie from the Cub Foods bakery.

12:10 - I get lunch for the kiddos and unload all the groceries.

12:24 - I put the second load of laundry into the dryer.

12:27 - I notice a disturbing odor and realize Caleb has diarrhea...

12:28 - and I try not to freak out as I carry him to the bathtub to undress him and wash him down.

12:39 - Caleb is finally cleaned up and his clothes are scrubbed out...YUCK!

12:45 - I spend 15 minutes trying to find Sammy's leotard for her gymnastics class at 2:30.

1:00 - I finally sit down and have lunch.

1:30 - I wake Hannah up to feed her.

1:55 - I pack clothes for Sammy, toys for Caleb, and a diaper bag for Hannah.

2:05 - I load everyone into the van and head to the high school.

2:20 - We play "Dora and Boots" and explore Brainerd High School a bit before class.

2:30 - Sammy begins her gymnastics class and I chat with my friend Amy as our 4 other children play.

3:20 - I load all the kiddos back into the van and head home.

3:38 - I give the kids a snack, check the mail, and jump on facebook for a few minutes.

4:00 - I start to think about making dinner...

4:01 - but get sidetracked with folding two loads of laundry.


4:22 - I let Caleb and Sammy "cook" with dried beans in their kitchen while I prep dinner.


4:27 - They get tired of cooking and use the beans to feed their pet dog and cat.


4:43 - Caleb and Sammy make a HUGE mess of beans on the kitchen table and floor.

4:44 - I start counting down the minutes until Brad comes home.

4:45 - I take some pre-made dough out of the fridge and realize it's way too firm to make pizza and breadsticks anytime soon.

5:18 - Brad gets home and the children proceed to climb all over him.

5:19 - I manage to climb over my children and give my husband a hug and kiss.

5:25 - I finish making homemade pizza and breadsticks and put it in the oven.

5:26 - I nurse a very hungry little girl!

6:01 - We all sit down and have dinner and I marvel at my delicious looking breadsticks!

6:35 - I change a very poopy cloth diaper...

6:36 - while making my baby girl smile.


6:48 - Brad leaves for Junction 122 (our college ministry)...

6:49 - but forgets to wave as he pulls out of the driveway...

6:49 and 30 seconds - and Caleb begins crying loudly, "daddy forgot to wave"...

6:49 and 45 seconds - I let Caleb call Brad to tell him he forgot to wave.

6:51 - Brad turns around, drives past the house again and waves.

6:51 and 15 seconds - Caleb is instantly better.

7:00 - We start to clean up all the toys.

7:28 - We are still cleaning up toys.

7:33 - We finally clean up all the toys

7:34 - Sammy and Caleb pick out 6 stories for me to read to them.

7:54 - Hannah starts crying...loudly.

7:55 - Caleb has an accident...all over his toys and bed.

8:03 - I finally clean up everything and try to ignore Hannah's growing screams as I....

8:04 - sing two songs with the kids and tuck them into bed.

8:05 - I pick up Hannah, calm her down...

8:10 - and start to nurse her.

8:22 - I call my good friend Gianna and chat with her for a few minutes before...

8:35 - she has to go and put her girls to bed.

8:52 - I call her back and chat with her some more and wish we could see each other's new babies soon!

9:16 - I tidy up my house a bit before my...

9:22 - mom calls to talk about maybe meeting in Fargo on Friday.

10:01 - I finally hang up with my mom and Brad calls to say he's on his way home.

10:10 - He arrives home and we talk about our evenings and then I...

10:31 - wake up Hannah to nurse for the final time tonight and play games on Brad's ipod touch while he...

10:38 - does who knows what on the computer.

10:47 - I beat one of Brad's records for his bubble wrap game.

10:59 - I put Hannah to bed and get ready for bed myself.

11:15 - I tell Brad I'll be to bed soon...

12:45 - but I don't because I'm still up blogging.

4 comments:

Jess said...

Hey, you got lunch!

And I think your bed is made in that photo!?

Blogging into the wee hours of the morning, yes. When else would we have uninterrupted time to do it?

Yeah, that sounds like a typical day around here too, except my bed isn't made, and throw in a little rooster chasing and that's about right.

:) You're doing great, Jenny!

Amber said...

I think I've had the exact day! (minus the buble blowing contest, i've never done that.)
I'll be doing my own post like this I think, I think you feel like more of a survivor and a warrior when you are able to read it all written down like that. You are a champion! :) haha.

Betty Aust said...

Dido with your friends comments. Welcome to motherhood with 3 kiddos. Each child adds more work & more joy. Remember I told my doctor years ago after Kevin was born that a mother should grow another arm with the birth of each new baby! He laughed! I'm impressed that you could remember all that plus the times to even write it all down! Did being a teacher ever prepare you for 3 kids at home compared to all the kids in class all day long?

Betty Aust said...

Motherhood is one of the most important, under-paid jobs, under-appreciated jobs, that most ladies don't know much about, aren't educated or prepared for, constant 24 hours, 7 days a week job that lasts for a life time. Yes, there is fatigue, frustrations, & some failures, BUT they're is also SO MUCH love, hugs, joy, contentment, fulfillment, smiles, rewards, & kisses that no amount of money or any other job could match!