Saturday, May 16, 2009

Celebrate good times, come on!


I'm done.

No, really, I'm actually done.

Even after turning in my insanely long action research paper AND presenting my findings last month AND wearing my cap, gown, and hood, I'm still trying to wrap my mind around this new stage of my life.

No more papers, no more classes, no more 300 page books to read, no more study nights and weekends away from my family, no more telling Sammy to read quietly to herself while I finish studying, no more...

Well, actually I have had a couple of dreams that I hadn't finished all my work and that I actually didn't graduate...I would like no more of those please!

Last weekend, I had my hooding ceremony and graduation from my master's program in Marshall, MN.

(Side note...I am now a graduate from Southwest Minnesota State University...a college I have only set foot on three times over the last two years...anyone else think that's crazy!)

Brad and I and the kiddos drove down (about 3 1/2 hours) on Friday and spent the night. We connected with another family from my co-hort and went swimming together. Then we gave the kids a bath, watched some cartoons, and put them to bed. It was a really relaxing evening, and the kiddos slept pretty well...considering we had to wake them up at 6:45 so we could get to breakfast by 7:30.

Take a look at Caleb's face...he wasn't exactly excited about taking pictures at that early hour...but he was a good sport!


After having breakfast, chatting with some classmates, and taking pictures with one of my professors,


the hooding ceremony began. We learned all about the funky design of our gowns and what the tassel and hood colors meant. Anyone curious? Even if you aren't, too bad!

High school graduation gown colors are chosen by the school or the graduating class. All undergraduate college gowns are black with traditional sleeves that are angled. Graduate school gowns are always black and have slightly shorter sleeves that are not angled. They also have an "extra" sleeve that hangs behind the regular sleeve. (I actually put my arm in the wrong sleeve and was quite concerned with how long it was and that it was sewn shut! How was I suppose to shake someone's hand and receive my diploma if the sleeve was sewn! Then I discovered the "correct" sleeve...and I'm actually supposed to be smarter now!) You can sorta see the long, dangling extra sleeve in the picture below.


Your graduate school tassel and the "outer" colors of the hood are dependent on your specific area. Education is represented by light blue. (My tassel looks white, but it really is light blue, really.) The "inner" colors are the colors from the institution. Southwest's colors are brown and yellow. They aren't my favorite colors, but they will do! Oh, and when I get my doctorate degree *just kidding*, then I (would) get this funky cap and big, puffy sleeves with stripes.


And for those of you who really wanted to see pictures of me being "hooded", sorry to disappoint! It was hard for Brad to watch the kids AND take pictures so I handed my camera to a friend...who didn't have our camera turned on...BUMMER!!!

It was a really fun time, and even though other family and friends couldn't make it and the drive was pretty long, it was well worth it. We had a great time as a family, the kids were REALLY good (well, I sorta bribed them with ice cream and a stop at a park on the way home if they cooperated...a mother's gotta do what a mother's gotta do!) and it was a wonderful way to celebrate and bring closure to this season of my life.

So, what's next? Well, Brad's throwing me a little party this weekend, and I'm looking forward to celebrating and grilling out with family and good friends. The rest of my other obligations...Mothers of Pre-Schoolers (MOPS), Bible Study Fellowship (BSF), youth group, Sunday morning class, and small group Bible study have all ended or will be ending this week. I really don't know what to think or do. I've been so busy and stressed that I'm not quite sure what to do with my "open" schedule. But, my husband does...

Yesterday, I made a list of ALL the things I would LIKE to do this summer. I ran over the list with Brad, and have I mentioned before how GOOD he is! He listened carefully and quietly and then LOVINGLY asked me if and how I was going to do all of that. He is so good at keeping me in balance and not letting me overcommit.

Then he said, "how about resting for awhile?"

Oh, you mean NOT booking up my schedule like a crazy lady and running me and our family ragged? You mean choosing a very few ministries, activities and pursuits and focusing on those instead of 10 or 15?

Oh, yeah, that's probably a good idea.

No comments: