Friday, July 10, 2009

Friday Fave Five


Join me for Friday's Fave Fives, brought to us by Susanne at Living to tell the Story.

It's a time to reflect on the past week and count the many blessings we have in our lives!

1. Spending the 4th of July with friends.


For the past couple of years, we've spent July 4th with a close group of friends at parades, grilling out and watching the fireworks.


The last 2 years we've also celebrated Caleb's birthday a bit early as well. This year we went to the Nisswa parade Friday night, the Crosby parade Saturday morning, grilled out with friends, had Caleb's party Saturday evening, and watched Brainerd's fireworks that evening.





It was a SUPERB day!

2. Taking naps. I've been able to take two 2 1/2 to 3 hour naps this week. I don't really know why I've been blessed enough with TWO wonderful naps, but I am so thankful for them!

3. Taking the kids to the beach ALL BY MYSELF! Now, I don't have any pictures of my kids at the beach (since a camera was the one thing I forgot), but I managed to pack everything else, keep the kids from drowning, bring them and everything else home safely, and bathe them all by myself. (Beside a hour or two, Brad was gone from 6:30 a.m. until after 11:00 p.m. that day.) I am still amazed at how well it went and am kicking myself for not taking the kids more often!

4. Finishing staining the 125 spindles and posts on our deck. I have been working almost every day during the kids' nap at staining our 24 by 14 foot deck. The railing and spindles have taken me FOREVER! But I finally finished on Tuesday, and hopefully we'll stain the floor sometime next week. I am so thankful to have "nap time" back and be able to catch up on cleaning, laundry, and have some personal time for myself.

5. Playing with my kids.


I have really been thankful for my children, especially since they've returned from Grandma and Papa's house. I am so blessed to be able to stay at home with them every day...even when the days seem to drag on and on. I love watching them, instructing them, and being able to spend so much time teaching, training, and loving them. I often miss teaching, but I know that I am exactly where I need to be right now...and that's following God, loving my husband, and being the best mom I can be to my children.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post! Naps are a great thing...for you and to get stuff done while the kids nap! As my kids got older, nap time evolved into "room time" another mommy life saver! :)
The beach sounds fun, good for your for taking them!
And I am impressed you got all those spindles done! Wow! That deserves a serious nap.
You are so right, being home with your kids is a great place to be right now. :) Trust me you can always go back to teaching...that is what I did. :)

aspiritofsimplicity said...

congratulations on finishing the spindles. What a big job! I used to love taking my kids to the beach. They are older now and my advice to you is to go whenever you can. The years go by very quickly and the summer's are very short.

Hazel said...

Great faves! You're so lucky you are at home with your kids. Have a great weekend.

Suburban Girl said...

Ahhh...naps. Aren't they wonderful for the soul? Great week! Keep at those spindles and posts they'll look great soon!

gianna said...

like brad said, you ARE funny!

Jerralea said...

Napping is great! I only get to do it on Sunday afternoons, but I cherish them.

Good for you taking the kids to the beach yourself!

Brenda said...

Great accomplishment in staining your deck! We always feel so good when we can do those things ourselves.

How nice to take your kids to the beach, great memories.

Barbara H. said...

Sounds like a wonderful 4th! And I LOVE naps!! Glad you got a couple in. Though I don't know how you did it with working on all those spindles!! Great job! I love your tone of happiness at staying home with and interacting with your kids. I've been blessed to be a stay-at-home mom for 24 years -- there's nobody like Mom to be with and teach their kids!

Susanne said...

What a sweet list of favorite things from your week! Your 4th of July sounds very busy, but very fun and full of great memories.

You are one busy gal painting all those spindles. A two hour nap is well deserved! ;v)

Willow said...

Great post this week for FFF. Love the naps! Have a great weekend.

Pamela said...

What a beautiful family and a lovely post about them all! Your July 4th pictures are great - we missed our local parade this year because we were picking Sophia up from camp.

That's quite a project - 125 spindles and posts! I hope one of your naps came after a busy morning of staining.