Friday, July 24, 2009

Friday Fave Five


Join me for Friday's Fave Fives, brought to us by Susanne at Living to tell the Story.

It's a time to reflect on the past week and count the many blessings we have in our lives!

1. Play dates at the beach. Since summer only lasts around 3 months, sometimes even less in Minnesota, I love to spend our warmer days at the beach. After a bit of a cool streak and lots of rain last week, it was time to pack up the car and hit the beaches. The kids had a blast, and I got to hang out with some girlfriends. This week, we went to both Pelican and Whipple Beach. It was a special treat to be able to go twice.


I really need to get this kid a sand box!

2. Bad days. I had a rough day this week. The kids were incredibly whiny and crabby, they were continually disobedient, Caleb cried most of the day for his daddy (who is away on a missions trip), and I lost patience often and was frustrated with my children most of the day. I am actually grateful for bad days from time to time. They make me appreciate how wonderful (and mostly well behaved) my precious children really are. They also remind me that it's okay not to "be the perfect mother" and have everything together. Praise God for His abounding grace in the midst of my imperfections!

3. Long visit from my mother-in-law. I never would have made it through the last week without Brad's mom. She has helped out in the kitchen cutting up fruit and veggies and also made banana bread. She has taken the kids to the park...


...Sammy and Grandma are playing "bus ride"...

...read and played with them daily, and even watched the kids so I could go running almost every night and even to a Bible study with some girl friends. She has happily tagged along on errands, grocery runs, play dates, youth events and long walks.


Here, Sammy and Grandma are "studying" (aka coloring) on our wooden swing set. (Since I just finished graduate school, anytime Sammy writes or colors she calls it "studying"...just like mommy!)

My mother in law has been such a blessing!

4. Continued peace about my decisions, plans, lifestyle, and choices. I have been reminded almost daily this week that I am not on this earth to please people, but to glorify God and live ONLY for an audience of One.

5. Boat rides with neighbors. Brad and I have the BEST neighbors! Dave and Beatrice are such wonderful people who love our kids, take them to the park from time to time, and are always willing to help or just stop and talk. This week, Dave offered to take us on a boat ride on the Mississippi.


Here, Sammy is playing with a pinwheel that she got from Dave. "Mr. Dave said it helps the boat go faster!"


The kids were actually pretty good on the boat, and it was a GORGEOUS evening to be on a boat ride.

What are you grateful for this week?

Have a blessed weekend!

10 comments:

aspiritofsimplicity said...

That sounds like a wonderful week!

Melissa said...

Thanks for sharing your list! I especially appreciate #4, and I like the photo of Sammy with the pinwheel. Great photo!

ellen b said...

Hi Jenny! Sounds like a great week. How wonderful that your MIL was able to step in and give you such great support while your guy's away. Good reminder on who we need to be pleasing. What a blessing to have good neighbors! Have a great weekend.

Jerralea said...

Wonderful post, Jenny. How lucky you are to have a mother-in-law who wants to help! What a blessing. I like all your photos, especially the ones of your kids on the boat.

Barbara H. said...

Love the beach pictures! I miss living near the beach.

We all have "those days" -- glad you survived yours ok. :-)

It's so neat your mother-in-law could visit! Looks like a good time for all of you.

That boat ride sounds fun!

Susanne said...

What a wonderful statement #2 is. Just beautiful.

Hands on grandparents are an absolute blessing.

Brenda said...

It sounds like you are truly blest, good kids, a wonderful MIL, great neighbors. Its nice that you can see all those blessings in your life :)

Unknown said...

Great week for you! Bad days mean good days are on the way! Blessings!

Karyn said...

It is hard to be both parents...but good for you to have such a good attitude about your own 'failures'.

Sounds like you have a wonderful MIL

annies home said...

what a wonderful time you all must of had and love the great pictures