Sunday, June 07, 2009

I'm a hopeless connector...

All of us have a unique gift mix. Even though we may share traits with another person, we are all very, very different.

I think it's one of the most beautiful things about us as humans.

And when we think of ourselves as a part of the larger body of Christ, it becomes even more wonderful and stunning.

It's funny, though, how often people see something in us that we don't see in ourselves. When someone else mentions a specific talent or giftedness they see in us, we often tilt our head a bit and say, "really, you think so?"

My masters in education program had a leadership focus. Because of that, I've read many books on leadership and have come to understand my individual strengths better. It has really opened my eyes to how God has wired me to be the unique wife, mother, teacher, and friend that I am.

And in this process of learning and through my husband's comments and observations, I've really come to realize that I'm a "connector."

What's a connector, you may ask? Well, I guess I connect........people. (Side note....this does NOT mean I'm a matchmaker!)

I connect people in similar life circumstances or situations to one another. And I LOVE doing this!

I'm an extrovert and love being with people. I love getting to know people and plugging them into something that they have been looking for or something that they might enjoy or someone who does or enjoys the same thing they do.

Let me give you a couple of examples.

About a year and a half ago I went in for my yearly eye exam. I began chatting with my eye doctor, and found out she was new to the area and was originally from my hometown. I asked her if she and her husband had found a local church to worship and invited her to my church. Now she and her husband are well connected with our young marrieds group and are volunteers in our youth ministry program.

One day, about four months ago, as I was picking up my kids at Kid's Kastle (our YMCA's childcare program), I struck up a conversation with one of the moms about my MOPS (Mothers of Preschoolers) group, and I invited her to come. A few weeks later, she joined me at my MOPS table and has now connected with other moms in my church and community.

About six weeks ago, one of our neighbors stopped by our house to ask for names of babysitters since her daughter and 7 month old grandson had moved in with her. After we talked a bit, I began to think of other people or groups that her daughter may like. I plugged her into a local singles ministry and then invited her to a play date with about 6 or 7 of my other "mommy" friends. And I hope to continue to connect her with other moms that she can lean on for support.

Even this past weekend, while my good friend Gianna was visiting me, I was able to reunite her with a high school friend...who happens to be in BSF (Bible Study Fellowship) with me. They hadn't seen each other in over 10 years, and it was so much fun to be able to reconnect them again.

I'm writing about this for a number of reasons.

First, I think we often forget how uniquely gifted each of one of us (especially those stay-at-home-moms out there) and how we are wired to do great things. We often get so caught up in making meals, potty training, breaking up sibling fights, changing diapers, and doing mountains of laundry that we forget our sometimes hidden talents and abilities. There are ways that we can still use our wonderful talents....it just takes a little more effort, time and creativity.

Second, there are many things that comes to each of us naturally that DOESN'T come naturally to other people. I really used to think everyone constantly thinks about how to encourage, connect, and help others. But not everyone does that. And I'm glad that everyone doesn't because we need leaders and activators and workers and all different kinds of people.

And third, it's a reminder that we are created to do GOOD WORKS, and that everything we do is not a waste. Speaking in love to our whining child is not a waste. Choosing to make a healthy meal for our families is not a waste. Even cleaning a very messy baby after lunch day after day is not a waste.

NOTHING is wasted in God's economy.

Everything we do has meaning, and even if our husbands, friends, or children don't notice or appreciate it, God does.

2 comments:

gianna said...

camp friend! but it was so GOOD GOOD GOOD to see you! i've been on cloud 9 all day!

Unknown said...

It was awesome and I am grateful. I hope it encourages Sandy to connect with her too. It is encouraging to see that God keeps His own (when so many of the people I knew back then fell away from Him, still in His hand are the ones who were truly His). I am grateful for your gift and can't wait for the next play date!!